About Us - History
The McLaughlin Funeral Home was founded in 1930 by James A. McLaughlin. Jim was born in St. Lucy's Parish in the "Horseshoe" section of Jersey City where he had been employed by Thomas A. Carey, a local undertaker.
The firm began at 174 Jackson Avenue (now MLK Drive), moved to 215 Jackson Avenue, across from Sacred Heart Church, and then in 1937 to 591 Jersey Avenue, a home previously owned by Drs. Edward and Alfred Kopeczny. It remained in operation at that address until 1967. In 1964, the firm erected its present day location, a 12,000 square foot, two story building at 625 Pavonia Avenue, near Journal Square.
James A. McLaughlin, Jr. became the manager of both locations in 1960. Jim's daughter, Maryellen McLaughlin, assumed the title of Executive Director in 2012 and is now the third generation of the family engaged in the operation of McLaughlin Funeral Home, now in its 83rd year.